Family escapes Southside apartment fire

RICHMOND, Va — Firefighters were on scene of a house fire on Richmond’s Southside Wednesday night.

Crews were called to the Midlothian Village Apartments in the 4000 block of Midlothian Turnpike just before midnight Wednesday. When they arrived, they found smoke coming from a second-floor apartment.

Two adults and a child who live in the apartment were able to escape unharmed.

Firefighters say the fire was contained to the kitchen. The cause was unattended cooking.